Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ecto, Meso Endo … Say what?



Ecto, Meso Endo … Say what?

     Well the summer is almost over and I have managed to lose exactly 0 pounds. Well to be honest I haven’t been trying really. But with all of the gluten free scramble, and the craziness of getting kids here there and everywhere, I haven’t done much exercising. I have been outside a lot, and wanted to walk the new walking path around the schools when I drop Bug off for soccer practice. I just seem to have twenty things that need done NOW and that is a trip to town I can’t waste.

     Tiny is becoming adjusted to her new food choices. I am going on the gluten free roller coaster along with her. One for moral support and two it takes a lot of carbs out of my diet and that has to be good right. We have discovered that no-bake cookies are everyone’s new favorite desert. Cheap, easy and yummy! Pasta is the tricky one. Corn pasta seems the best but leftovers are a NO. And I only buy cereal that everyone can eat. That way sleepy kids don’t eat the wrong thing, and there is no “that’s mine only” fight with the cocoa crispy rice cereal (they all like that one!).

     I recently read an article about body type. I hate mine and thought maybe I should try to get a better perspective. Might boost the want to exercise, or at least help me understand what I need to do and why for best results.

Here is an excerpt of that article:
·       

                                       How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love My Body Type, Elle July 15, 2014 By Justine Harman  https://www.yahoo.com/health/i-asked-a-professional-to-diagnose-my-body-type-91310276707.html#

 [Many resources suggest that there are three main body types (or somatotypes): the ectomorph (delicate frame and bone structure, low body fat); the mesomorph (rectangular-shaped with a tendency to pack on muscle); and the endomorph (rounder or curvier shape with a high capacity for fat storage). Many people are a combination of two somatotypes.

Mary Jane Detroyer, a Columbia-educated and New York-based exercise physiologist: "A mesomorph naturally has more muscle and will be able to build more muscle," she tells me. "If you came to me and said, ‘I don’t want to get any bigger,’ I’d say, ‘Well, don’t use weights. We’re going to do exercises with your own body weight.’ And endomorphs have to do cardio. Tons of cardio because they look at food and they gain weight."

"Some people are just like that. It’s their genes,” Detroyer says of the poor endomorph. "Is it fair? No. But some people end up getting cancer and some people don’t. Some people lose their hair and some people don’t. It’s part of who we are. Some people get acne some people don’t.”

I feel a bit helpless. “Why do you think it’s important that people accept their own body’s limitations?” I ask. “So that you don’t have unrealistic expectations,” she says. “Everybody wants to be something they’re not.” And fitness professionals looking to make a buck, she says, further bolster a lot of these expectations: “There’s understanding your body type, and there’s understanding what’s realistic to try to change. Most trainers don’t sit down and have that conversation with their client.”

“But how do you know if you’re at a healthy weight?” The picked-apart image of me vs. Megan getting blurrier by the second. She breaks it down for me—and her answer has nothing to do with the scale: “If you have to starve yourself, if you’re thinking about food for most of the day, if you over-exercise, which means feeling guilty if you haven’t exercised, or exercising more than you’re enjoying…” she pauses to make sure she has my full attention. “If you’re not enjoying life because you have to give up all eating, all drinking, and going to nice restaurants, you’re not at a healthy weight.”]


     After reading this I understand the issues I have with exercising now. I cannot change my genes and need to deal with the things I can change. Walking 10 times more than I do, eating healthier and doing some kind of cardio weekly will help. The only thing she didn’t address is…motivation. Where do I buy that?

     The one thing I have found is if you have an accountability partner you are more likely to not flake out. Just be sure that you are not both procrastinators…then no one will be accountable.

Look at the time. Goal 1: Walk on lunch breaks. Got to get moving!


 
Till next time…