Wednesday, June 4, 2014

She’s allergic to what???



She’s allergic to what???

I spent the month of April this year off work. Tiny started feeling bad and it progressed to full on PAIN. It killed me to see her like that. We saw 3 doctors and had 9 test and an upper and lower GI scope done. Finally found the problem.

She has Celiac disease. Which means what exactly? It is an autoimmune disease that causes her body to attack itself because it sees her small intestine as the same as gluten. And to her gluten is BAD! Then we find out it is genetic and now the family needs checked. Well needless to say the whole family is going gluten free.

It is hard to explain to a 12 year old why she can’t have pancakes when everyone else can. Our first attempt at gluten free pancakes came out weird. I ended up adding cornmeal and potato flakes to it and serving the potato cakes for dinner with cheese. Which worked so no waste, but she was mad. And she shares her daddy’s temper. Well I have all summer to figure this out and plan on packing her lunch for next year. It is hard enough explaining sis’s allergies, trying to explain gluten free to the school…not looking forward to it.

So this means…total purge of my cabinets. Cleaning, vacuuming, and scrubbing flour residue out of the cabinets. Finding noodle and flour substitutes that work. Believe it or not the bread was the easiest to replace. Potato bread is “white” now and not much more expensive.

Nana has been struggling with Bee’s allergies and is thinking about trying gluten free too. It’s not much different from dairy free so not much harder. Her kids’ allergies defy reason. One has pork, turkey and oranges. One has beef, bananas and carrots. And Bee has beef and dairy. No logic involved. And F is allergic to raw veggies.

Makes me wonder what I am really allergic to. Tiny having celiac means either me or Superman has it also. And since Superman has had an upper and lower GI scope and it was never mentioned…it’s probably me. So I am going gluten free too!

Well enough for this time…if you have comments and/or suggestions on making the gluten free transition easier let me know.

Till next time…